Saturday, March 12, 2011

Breakfast South of the Border

It's Spring Break 2011!
Woooohooooo! Margaritas poolside, beer bongs on the beach, pierced belly buttons and scantily clad 19 year olds as far as the eye can see. Oh wait, that was my spring break 1996. Today life is less of a party, but no worries! We can still have a party for your taste buds, and it won't leave you dazed and confused the next morning.

I used to love breakfast food for dinner, or after late nights "studying". As a grown up, a nice healthy and hearty breakfast is something I look forward to on weekends. So today I kicked off my weekend, and my Spring Break, with a festive, spicy and delicious omelet that took me back to my days in Mexico and all of the flavors under the sun. You can add or omit ingredients depending on your preferences or what's already in your fridge. Use only egg whites if that's your thing, or 3 whites and 2 whole eggs...  But, to give it a truly authentic flavor, out of the ordinary, don't skip the salsa verde!

Mexican Omelet
  • 1 whole or 2 egg whites per person (I insist on cage free, vegetable fed, non-drugged birdies)
  • shredded Mexican blend cheese
  • diced green, red, yellow peppers
  • diced red onion or scallion
  • diced tomatoes
  • salsa verde (green tomatillo salsa- can be spicy or mild)
  • a few tablespoons of milk
  • olive oil
  • spices (salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, oregano, chili powder)
  • hot sauce*

Instructions: You know how to make an omelet! But here is my method.
First I saute the veggies in a little olive oil on medium high heat, and season them generously. I like them soft and partially cooked, rather than raw and crunchy. (Hold the tomatoes until you add the cheese.) When they reach the tenderness I prefer, I add the egg mixture (eggs/whites and milk beaten) and reduce the heat to low and partially cover. The eggs should begin to brown slightly on the bottom while the rest cooks through. Sprinkle with cheese and tomatoes, and top with a little salsa verde. Flip (or scramble) for just 1-2 more minutes to be sure all ingredients are hot and egg is firm. Serve hot! Top with a little more cheese, salsa verde and hot sauce if you dare.

Wanna take it one step closer to authentic juevos mexicanos? Serve with warm corn tortillas and make your own little breakfast burritos.
OLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment