Monday, June 6, 2011

La semaine de la chèvre!

I would eat it in a box, I would eat it with a fox. I would eat it in a car. I would eat it near or far.

Chevre (goat cheese
Actually, I love it on pizza, pasta, sandwiches, in salads and sauces, with fruit, eggs and veggies... What is this mystical and magical food? Goat cheese! Specifically Chevre. It's the tangy, creamy and smooth, spreadable cheese that comes in a log. And in an attempt to justify my insatiable appetite for this product, I am going to open my bag of tricks and dump it all out on the table. 

Several years ago when I was first introduced to goat cheese, I shuddered a bit at the thought of it. It was just not something I had grown up eating, so it seemed odd. Here in the Midwest we are used to cow's milk products, and not much more exotic than that. But, to my delight, one of my favorite delicacies is becoming more and more mainstream and widely available. So whether you are a goat cheese aficionado, or reluctant virgin, I hope you'll find something you love.
Enjoy "la semaine de la chèvre!"
 (Goat week sounds less appetizing in English) 

Goat Week: Day One

Ode-to-Chevre Brushetta 
(contributed by the lovely Consetta)
Bruschetta with goat cheese, olives, tomatoes and herbs

  • 1 baguette
  • 5 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 lbs firm ripe tomatoes, diced
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives (pitted)
  • 3 tablespoons chopped basil
  • 2 cloves crushed garlic
  • 6 oz Chevre cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste

Slice baguette, drizzle with olive oil, bake at 425 for 5 minutes. Once cool, spread Chevre on each slice of baguette. In mixing bowl add all other ingredients and mix, spoon over Chevre and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment